As a professional dancer, adventure junkie, speaker, author, philanthropist, and single mom to three teenage boys, I realized the stress was going to seriously take a toll on my body and my sanity if I didn’t find a better way of managing my time.
I researched top time management experts, read tons of books, listened to podcasts (while running of course to maximize my time!), and came to find that the strategies provided were great. They all made sense. And I knew that if I did them I would be more time efficient. BUT they didn’t fit. Like a pretty sweater that you’d love to love…but it itches.
Entrepreneurs, athletes, and sales people have a very different chemical makeup than the average Joe. They see the world differently. They prioritize differently. They are crazy. But they make s#!t happen! I love working with them. I am one.
I came up with a way of looking at time that works for me…and for my crazy clients that want to suck more time from their days. Perhaps it will fit for you as well.
- Actual time is based on seconds, minutes, hours, days…we all have the same amount
- True time is relative and so much more important to our conversation.
- True time is what the Mothers’ of Multiples group meant when they used the phrase “the days are long but the years are short”
- It’s why waiting on hold with your insurance company on a Monday seems to drag on for an eternity and weekends seem to last 3 ½ minutes
- Great thing about true time is that you create it…you control it.
- The concept of ‘Not having enough time’ is really in your head
- Just as with any other belief, judgment, fear or assumption- you can let it rule you. Or you can choose to use it or let it go
- The thing to understand about true time is that it’s based upon energy
What we associate negative energy to tends to drag on. The things we associate passion and positive energy to are where we find flow. The key to finding more hours in your day and enjoying the ones you have is to understand this relationship between time and energy.
Let’s talk about control.
One of the main reasons that actual time seems so frustrating and stressful is that it often appears outside of our control. We give up our control when we allow external situations to infect our state and let go of our power of…our thoughts, feelings, and ways we respond to those situations.
Time is the most important resource you have. Getting a handle on the time you need and using it wisely will directly impact your bottom line. Energy helps you decide where to spend your time.
List the things that steal your energy:
- Negative people
- Waiting in line
- Rainy days
If it’s within your control, can you find ways to reduce, eliminate, or alter your perspective on it?
List of the things that generate energy for you:
- Walking in nature
- Being with positive people
- Adventure sports
- Serving a bigger purpose
- Reading uplifting/feel good stories
How can you incorporate more of these into your world?
This is just a quick, let’s get started, exercise to get you thinking about energy and its impact on time.
There are so many ways you can use these concepts.
- Create moving meetings to increase the positive energy and effectiveness of meetings in your organization.
- Use it to understand how to get motivated and working out faster (you’d be amazed how much time we waste battling with negative energy).
- I could go on…
If you’d like more tools or want to start a conversation on this concept, my door (ie my email box) is always open. Reach out at any time. Heather@HeatherHansenONeill
BIO: Heather Hansen O’Neill is an award winning speaker, author and success coach helping innovative companies and ‘crazy’ people to achieve more of what they desire in their lives More info at: http://heatherhansenoneill.com/